With the weather being rainy on the 10th day of Raleigh Parks Christmas, we headed to an indoor park (yes, that’s correct) in North Raleigh. We visited Greystone Recreation Center at 7713 Leadmine Rd in the Greystone Village Shopping Center.
Greystone Rec Center has a unique indoor playground area with several different climbing structures that are all intertwined. There’s a giant rope spider web, holes suspended by rope to climb through, nature rocks, and spinners. The back wall has been turned into a great climbing wall. The playground area sits atop the spongy surface, which is mostly green in color except for the blue “river” that runs through the playground.
This indoor playground is mostly designed for kids ages 5-12 years old, but there were plenty of kids ages 2 and up enjoying the playground too. I was clearly the one with the youngest baby and the staff didn’t say anything to me about her age. We mostly hung out near one of the corners by the rock wall, cruised along the rock wall, crawled on the ground, and tried to stay out of the way of the older kids. Ashley was also pretty entertained by the paintings on the wall too. The playground hours are 9-11am and 12:30-5pm Mon-Fri and 9-noon on Saturday.
This indoor park also has several benches along the wall, vending machines, and nice restrooms. Greystone Rec Center also has several programs for people of all ages going on throughout the year. Here are a few coming up:
- Jan 10-Feb 2: Mom and Tots Leap into Learning (ages 20-24months, Tues/Thurs, 9:15-10am, $35)
- Jan 12-26: Dance-Twinkle Toes I (ages 2-3yrs, Thurs, 11:20-12:15, $40)
- Jan 12-26: Tumbling Tinies (ages 9-24months, Thurs, 9:30-10:15am, $40)
- Jan 12-Feb 2: Math Madness (ages 3-5yrs, Thurs, 2-3pm, $40)
- Jan-Apr: Mahjongg Open Play (adults, Mon, 2-4pm, FREE)
- Jan-Apr: Bingo (adults, 1st & 3rd Tues, 2-3pm, $1)
- Jan-Apr: Senior Fitness (Mon/Fri, 10-10:45am, $15/month)
Thumbs up: unique indoor play area, rock wall, community center programs
Thumbs down: indoor playground is small and gets easily crowded on popular days, unattractive shopping center setting